Who is eligible to apply for ESTA under the Visa Waiver program (VWP)?

You may travel under the Visa Waiver Program (VWP) if you:

  • Are entering the United States for business, transit, tourism or short-term study programs (noncredit).
  • Will be staying in the United States for fewer than 90 days.
  • Hold a valid passport that was issued by a Visa Waiver Program country.
  • Have a return or onward ticket with an approved VWP carrier.
  • Have obtained an approved ESTA travel authorization.
  • Are accepted to enter by a United States Customs and Border Protection officer upon arriving at your port of entry.
  • Officially waive the right to appeal, contest, or review the informed decision of the inspecting United States Customs and Border Protection officer, including any decision to remove you from the United States based on a Visa Waiver Program application.
  • Waive those rights to review, appeal, or contest any removal action from the United States related to a Visa Waiver Program application through the provision of required bio-metric information (photographs and/or fingerprints) upon disembarking in the United States.
  • Have complied with any and all conditions of the Visa Waiver Program during any previous admissions to the United States under said program.

What is the Visa Waiver program (VWP)?

The Visa Waiver Program (VWP), administered by the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) in consultation with the State Department, permits citizens of 38 countries to travel to the United States for business or tourism for stays of up to 90 days without a visa. In return, those 38 countries must permit U.S. citizens and nationals to travel to their countries for a similar length of time without a visa for business or tourism purposes.

Click here to view list.



Travelers in the following categories are no longer eligible to travel or be admitted to the United States under the Visa Waiver Program (VWP):

  • Nationals of VWP countries who have traveled to or been present in Iran, Iraq, Sudan, Syria, Libya, Somalia and Yemen on or after March 1, 2011 (with limited exceptions for travel for diplomatic or military purposes in the service of a VWP country).
  • Nationals of VWP countries who are also nationals of Iran, Iraq, Sudan, or Syria.

e-Passport symbol and passport

In addition, as of April 1, 2016, you must have an e-passport to use the VWP. An e-Passport is an enhanced secure passport with an embedded electronic chip. You can readily identify an e-Passport, because it has a unique international symbol on the cover. 


ESTA Application

Electronic System for Travel Authorization

Begin Your Travels in 72 Hours